The Austrian State Opera and Theatre House

Originally published October 4, 2016.
Issued by Austria in 2005 the country of Austria celebrated the 50th Anniversaries of the reopening of their national opera and theatre houses.
The Opera House
Construction on the state opera house commenced in 1861 based on a design by August Sicard von Sicardsburg and Eduard van der NĂ¼ll.  Built by the renowned architect and builder Josef Hlavka, the opera house was finally finished in 1869.  The opera house is pictured in the stamp on the right in the souvenir sheet above.  It was extensively damaged during World War II and completion of the renovations and reconstruction was finished in 1955.
The National Theatre
Featured on the left stamp in the above souvenir sheet is the Austrian National Theater.  One of the most important German language theatres in the world, it opened in 1888 and was designed by Gottfried Semper and Karl Freiherr von Hasenauer.  As with the opera house, it was extensively damaged during World War II.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *