Originally published September 2, 2017.
The MS Jutlandia was built for the East Asiatic Company (EAC) by the EAC at the Nakskov Shipyard in 1934. She was 461 feet long with a beam of 61 feet and a draught of 36 feet. The Jutlandia was a combined cargo and passenger ship. She had a cruise speed of 15 knots.
During WWII she was laid up after Germany invaded Denmark and was only manned by a skeleton crew. During an allied air raid in May of 1945 she only suffered some bullet holes and a minor fire. She returned to EACservice after the war and sailed between Europe and the US East Coast.
At the outbreak of hostilities on the Korean Peninsula the Danish government pledged support for the UN effort and the Jutlandia was converted to a hospital ship as part of the Danish contribution to the UN action.
The Jutlandia did three tours of duty as a hospital ship during the Korean War. During these tours she treated military and civilians. This included the treatment of orphans and at one point the creation of a childrens ward onboard. She received the Korean Presidential Unit Citation and the ships crew and medical staff were officially decorated by the Danish Government. After her service in Korea she returned to her original service of sailing between Copenhagen and Bangkok.
In September 1960, the Jutlandia became a Royal Yacht, first serving the King of Thailand and then in 1963 serving as the Royal Yacht for Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.
On January 14, 1965 the Jutlandia left on her final voyage to Bilbao where she was scrapped.
On June 14, 1962, Denmark issued a stamp to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Motor Ship Selandia. The Selandia is often referred to as the worlds first diesel-powered ship.
Constructed by Burmeister & Wain in Copenhagen the Selandia was ordered by the East Asiatic Company. She was launched on November 4, 1911, and completed during February 1912.
The Selandia was 370′ long with a beam (width) of 53′. Weighing in at 6,800 tons DWT (dead weight). Her 2 M.A.N., 8 cylinder four-cycle diesel engines provide 1,250 hp each providing the Selandia 12 knots of speed.
Constructed to serve in both cargo and passenger service the Selandia had 20 luxurious first class cabins along with many single berth cabins with a washroom for every two cabins. All cabins were described as very ample or of exceptional size.
She sailed between Scandinavia, Genoa and Bangkok and was eventually sold to Panama in 1936. Where she was renamed Norseman and then as the Tornator in 1940.
In January 1942 she ran aground off the coast of Omaisaka, Japan and became a total loss. The Selandia was a ship that changed the future of shipping and marine technology.